working on CAT Thirty

• jbernd56
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Registered
More
5 months 2 weeks ago #382 by jbernd56
working on CAT Thirty was created by jbernd56
Last Friday and Saturday Loma and I traveled to Cushing Oklahoma, and helped Scott Kuhns and several others, work on Scott's 1928 Thirty.  It had developed a suspicious "growl" in the rear end/transmission.  
Friday morning we got it in the shop and began dis-assembling.  Fortunately / unfortunately, in the service book, nearly all operations begin with remove platform, tracks and track frame, final drives etc etc. 
After removing the platform we took off the top of tranmission. Not finding any obvious problems, we moved on. Tracks and track frames, gone.Saturday morning began.  Final drive housings sprockets, gone. Ring gear and steering clutch packs, gone.  After quite a bit of torch action, top shaft in trans, gone.  After more long cheater pipe AND torch action, bottom shaft in trans. gone,  BUT we found the growl. The front bearing had lost the cage around the balls in the bearing. Little pieces of it were floating around in the bearing cage cap..
So, we were left with an engine and empty trans and steering clutch housings. Anybody with a thirty parts tractor with "good" transmission might be helpful to Scott. Also gaskets and assorted seals would be helpful.               

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 months 2 weeks ago #385 by NGaOldIron
Replied by NGaOldIron on topic working on CAT Thirty
John.....I have a lot of bearings and parts from when I tore my 1927 Cat Thirty trans/rearend down. I can check if you want....bearing numbers would help.....
Bill
The following user(s) said Thank You: B4D2

• jbernd56
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Registered
More
5 months 2 weeks ago #386 by jbernd56
Replied by jbernd56 on topic working on CAT Thirty
I sent Scott, who is also a Yellow Power member an E mail. He may try to contact you. Thanks for the reply
The following user(s) said Thank You: NGaOldIron