New Video - Garlic Shop - Caterpillar 966 Repair, Load.

• Garlic Pete
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
1 year 5 months ago - 1 year 5 months ago #122 by Garlic Pete

In this video, Garlic Mom and I finish putting together our 966.  The fuel pump got all gummed up and we had to remove it and send it to town for rebuild.  It cost $2,200, but was worth it because the 966 is a key tool for us.

This video picks up with the pump already installed and we're just finishing things up, installing the batteries and trying a first start.  These repairs are urgent because we just learned that the junkyard in Tehachapi is open and ready to sell stuff, so we need to get up there and start working on deals to save stuff from scrap.  Part of the story of the junkyard is told in this video and descriptions of some of the equipment we want to save.

The video also takes you along on part of the ride up from Arvin towards Tehachapi and gives a little preview of some of the work on the Bay City Crane.

The 966 went together pretty well, we got the pump timed correctly.  I had left the back two injector lines loose, so in the first start it misses on those cylinders and Garlic Mom lets me know about the fuel shooting out everywhere.  We tightened those up and I tightened down the valve cover, which I had removed to check the timing and make sure No. 1 cylinder was on top dead center compression when the pump was installed.

After that, it ran great, we loaded it up and headed for Tehachapi.

Please subscribe, like and comment.  Post here or over on YouTube for more information and discussion about the video.

Pete.
Last edit: 1 year 5 months ago by Garlic Pete.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 5 months ago #127 by ChuckC
I didn't know you were a member of shade tree mechanics of America.

• Garlic Pete
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
1 year 5 months ago #131 by Garlic Pete
I think you gave me an upgrade!

I aspire to be a shadetree mechanic. So far, no shade, I just have to work out in the sun and dust.

Pete.

More
1 year 5 months ago #133 by ChuckC
The 966 was under a tree.

• Garlic Pete
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
1 year 5 months ago #134 by Garlic Pete
Oh!

I see where the confusion came in. That was a borrowed tree.

The 966 actually broke down across the road, under the neighbor's tree. In that case, I also got an upgrade because I had nice shade to work under and some nice grass, too.

Garlic Mom warned me not to get used to such luxuries!

Pete.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChuckC